Sep 23, 2010

Dima's uneasy choice.

There are two races this weekend: NYARA SHAG and Hampton Roads Tidewater Traverse. Both races start at dark and are 16-18 hours long. Both are in a modified rogaine format and have the same disciplines. Even registration fee are almost the same. Shag provides kayaks for all racers and it's nice compare to almost unrestricted personal kayaks of Tidewater Traverse. Shag terrain is very rough, navigation is the most challenging (2008 Safari, if you know what I am talking about :-). Tidewater Traverse is all flat and swampy that is also very hard to navigate. For 20 miles paddling leg of Tidewater Traverse you better get the fastest boat you can find, because you will see $10K (or more) watercraft with the most experienced east coast pilots. So what is my choice? This year I'll skip my favorite Shag. I did it twice, but have never tried Tidewater Traverse before. My paddling sucks and it's good reason to improve.

But for the future, Race Directors, please talk and schedule your races for different weekends.

This weekend I will paddle fast and beautiful Andromeda from Jacks Boat House. I was introduced to her last weekend:

By the way, that's very likely the area of Calleva 2011 race. Start guessing...
0 comments are posted:
Post your comment:
Comments are moderated, please, let some time for your post to appear. Back to home page