Aug 4, 2010

Virginia Commonwealth Games Mountain Bike Omnium

Report by Michelle Lindsay, Roanoke, VA - 7/17/10 - 7/18/10



Saturday’s race was the uphill time trial climbing the 3 or 4 miles up Mill Mountain. I was near the last to take off since all the men went first, and I found myself racing a storm to the top! The singletrack wasn’t technical but it sure got my heart rate up by the finish. No other women came out for the TT, so I posted the fastest women’s time! I beat the storm to the finish but got soaked on the way back down to the car.

On Sunday, we raced a 20 mile cross country race at Carvin’s Cove. The expert course was the same as the sport course with the addition of one huge climb up and back down. I had fun - Carvin’s Cove has great trails! Apparently I just missed hitting a rattlesnake at the bottom of the Clownhead descent... another racer who caught up to me had seen it on the trail! It was really hot and humid, so the last climb back up Hi-de-Ho was brutal! As I began the last descent, another scary storm was rolling in and all I could think of was “get me off of this mountain!” I had a single crash - falling off the edge of the ramp over a log then getting stuck with my bottom foot still clipped in... within 2 minutes of the finish line :) All the other women raced the sport race, so I took the gold medal for the combined omnium!
0 comments are posted:
Post your comment:
Comments are moderated, please, let some time for your post to appear. Back to home page